Sunday, December 7, 2014

One Pot: Capellini with Tomatos, Garlic and Clams

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I kept hearing people raving about the "Post Thanksgiving One-Pot Meal." I wondered what all the hype was about, so I Googled which landed me in Martha Stewart-land to which I thought "That figures. Well, let's see it then."

Now don't get me wrong, I do love me some Martha every now and then and use to be an avid follower and fan prior to the whole prison thing  . . .  and even after the whole prison thing, I mean, she knows how to lay out a table and a bazillion things that can be done with gourds, glitter and a glue gun.

Anyway, my interest was piqued, and though I hadn't planned on it, towards the end of the weekend I found myself experimenting with her basic recipe, and like you all know I do, I tampered with it to make my own.

Here's the Martha video, seriously, super simple. http://www.marthastewart.com/978784/one-pan-pasta#One-Pot%20Meals|/275672/one-dish-dinners/@center/854190/comfort-food-recipes|978784

 And my recipe based on her instructions:

  • 12 ounces capellini
  • 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large 
  • 1 6.5 oz. can of chopped clams, drained
  • 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
  • 3 C. raw spinach, washed and dried 
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced 
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes 
  • 1 Tbsp. dried chives
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and black cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 C. White Cooking Wine 
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving 
In a deep skillet, add pasta, chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add clams and tomato sauce, bringing back up to a low boil. Turn heat down to medium/medium high and continue to boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs. 
Capellini cooks in roughly 5-6 minutes so at the 5 minute mark, add in the spinach, chives and white cooking wine, stirring gently into the mixture. Dish is done around the 6 minute mark or whenever your preferred pasta consistency has been achieved.

Plate and top with Parmesan. Serve with crusty bread with butter and a simple salad, or not, just as a delicious one bowl dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment