Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cold Linguini Pasta Salad


So, I love pasta. 

I like it hot, cold, straight out of the cooking pot still piping hot (and yes, I have burned my mouth a time or two), laddled out as a sop for some French bread, or out of the Tupperware dish just pulled out of the fridge.  I like it in salads, soups, main dishes and on the rare delightful occasion as a dessert (Frogs Eye Salad aka Acini de Pepe Salad.)  I like all the different shapes and sizes and kinds and while some may be more favored than others, I certainly have a soft spot for them all. 

Linguini is one of my favorites.  I love it.  I modified this salad from a spaghetti salad recipe that I received from a friend.  It is modified enough that I consider it my own now.

I made this particular salad for the family luncheon my brother and sister-in-law were hosting following my little baby niece's baby blessing.  It turned out deliciously well.  :)

Linguini Salad

1 pkg. Linguini, broken in half, cooked to directions (with salt and olive oil in the boiling water)
1 Bottle Salad Supreme
1-2 C. Homemade Vinaigrette (Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar (2:1 ratio for the oil and vinegar...though I'm prone to making it closer to 50/50 as I like it tart), Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Parsley, Salt, Black Cracked Pepper, Dried Red Pepper Flakes)
1 Jar Kalamata Olives, drained
1 container Red and Yellow pear/cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
4 Stalks Celery, finely chopped
1 large Red Onion, sliced into rings and halved
1 each: Red, Yellow & Orange Bell Peppers, chopped
2-3 Tbsp. Finely Snipped Cilantro
2-3 Tbsp. Finely Snipped Parsley
1-2 Cucumbers, peeled, quartered and diced
1 8 oz. Container Feta Cheese with Basil and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Optional:
1 C. Cubed Pepperoni or Salami,
1 C. Cubed Mozzarella
Pepperoncini Peppers
Green Spanish Olives with Pimentos
Black Olives

Cook, drain and cool linguini.  Prepare the remainder of ingredients.

In a large bowl or serving dish, mix linguini, vegetables and olives, tossing to combine.

Add in the feta cheese (and pepperoni and mozzarella if you are using them), the herbs, 1 C. of the vinaigrette, and the Salad Supreme.  If you need additional liquid, add remaining vinaigrette as needed.  Combine all ingredients so that everything is thoroughly coated and mixed together.  Refrigerate.

The salad is most delightful when refrigerated for 3-4 hours prior to serving, but can be served straight away.

This salad can be made as large or as small as you like it, simply adjust the volume of your preferred ingredients.  It can also be simplified and quickened if you don't have the time by using a bottle of your favorite zesty Italian salad dressing, and omitting the extras and only utilizing onions, tomatoes and peppers, or some other simple combination as you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment